Our office is glad to provide information on our services. If you have questions about the orthodontic treatments provided by Ormiston Orthodontics, read through the pages provided below.
If you have questions about orthodontics in general, feel free to call our office or to read through the following FAQs.
WHAT IS ORTHODONTICS?
As a form of dentistry, orthodontics work to treat, prevent and diagnose dental and facial abnormalities, especially those that affect the smile.
WHAT IS AN ORTHODONTIST?
After attending and completing dental school, an orthodontist goes on to receive two to three years of additional orthodontic training and certification. Using this experience, an orthodontist can straighten crooked teeth, correct misalignment, and improve the overall function of your teeth, bite and smile.
WHAT’S THE BEST AGE TO VISIT THE ORTHODONTIST?
Though the American Association of Orthodontics® suggests that patients first see an orthodontist around age 7, Ormiston Orthodontics accepts patients of all ages. In fact, many of Dr. J. Perry Ormiston’s patients are in their twenties or older. Call 253-848-3529 to find out more about scheduling an orthodontic appointment for you or your family.
HOW CAN I TAKE CARE OF MY TEETH IF I’M WEARING BRACES OR A RETAINER?
- ALWAYS brush after eating and take time to floss every day.
- Use a fluoridated toothpaste and look into how fluoride rinses can prevent cavities.
- Keep track of your retainer, especially when taking it out to eat or when flossing or brushing. When possible, keep it in its container to prevent it from getting broken or lost.
- Brush or soak your retainer to keep it clean and do not expose it to heat, such as boiling water or a dishwasher.
- Avoid high-sugar foods that lead to increased bacterial growth and cavities.
- Stay away from excessively hard, chewy or sticky foods, or any foods that tend to get stuck on the wires or brackets.
- Continue to visit your regular dentist and schedule appointments for every six months.
WHAT ARE BRACES?
Braces are appliances and treatments used to straighten and align your smile. Dr. J. Perry Ormiston and other orthodontists offer many different kinds of braces, including:
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic or clear braces
- Lingual braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Invisible braces (such as Invisalign®)
IF I GET BRACES, HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WEAR THEM?
Since each smile is different, treatment may last anywhere between six months and two-and-a-half years. However, most patients will undergo treatment for around 22 months.
DO BRACES HURT?
Braces move the teeth gradually in order to avoid discomfort. However, patients may feel some discomfort as their teeth adjust following an appointment. If patients do have any continuing pain, they should contact our orthodontist.
DO I NEED TO BRUSH MY TEETH MORE OFTEN IF I HAVE BRACES?
Because food debris can get stuck in braces, patients should take the time to floss daily and brush their teeth three or more times a day.
IF I HAVE BRACES, DO I STILL NEED DENTAL CHECKUPS EVERY SIX MONTHS?
Yes, our office stresses the importance of continuing regular checkups. This is especially true since it can be difficult to clean certain areas of the mouth when wearing braces.
WILL MY BRACES INTERFERE WITH MY SCHOOL ACTIVITIES LIKE SPORTS, PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT OR SINGING?
With some adjustments, patients can continue school activities. For patients participating in contact sports, our orthodontist may recommend a mouthguard.
HOW DO I SCHEDULE MY NEXT APPOINTMENT?
Reach out to our front desk by calling 253-848-3529. Let us know what time works for you and if you are a new patient or if someone has referred you to our office. We will be happy to answer any of your questions about the orthodontic services we provide in Puyallup and Eatonville, Washington.